Skip to main content

Judging Books By Their Cover?



We've all heard of it. Never judge a book by the cover. Meaning, it's what's inside that counts, not the outer shell you see when you first glance at someone or something. 

Today I'm going to be doing the opposite: I'll be judging books by their cover. I had my cousin send a whole bunch of them, so shout out to her. I also asked over on Instagram, and since I got a lot of responses, unfortunately I won't be able to talk about them all. 

Just so you know, this is just for fun! 

Right, here goes nothing: 

1. 


Reminds me of 2010's dystopian era books with smudges of fantasy. I might pick it up from school's library if there's nothing else, or if I see someone reading it, but maybe not actually buy it (without reading the blurb, of course)

2.

Also dystopian vibes, but a bit more recent-y? I don't know. Not gonna lie, I'd probably be interested in reading it just by the cover. Ooh also sci-fi! The title makes it seem like the kind of stuff for more smart people, but otherwise it's fine.

3.


Yess fantasy! Gives me How To Train Your Dragon vibes. I might read this one, too. But I'm a little less interested as there are a bunch of short stories.

4.

This one reminds me of classical books, so eh. But the little illustrations on the corners are beautiful.

5.

I have never been more confused by a title, cover and the subheading thingy- how do they link together? A little bit creepy, honestly, haha, but reminds me of Daughter of the Deep's cover. If you changed the cover to a person's face, it'd be one of the freaky toxic books on Wattpad - not saying there aren't great stories on Wattpad, just that some of them are very, very questionable.

6.

It's nice, but it looks a little bit plain? I don't know, I guess I'm just used to Shannon Messenger's books having really bright and intricate covers, like Keeper of the Lost Cities.

7.

This looks soo cool!!! I just love the little details, and the green-golden color combo. This is probably the only book from the list that was actually on my TBR (to-be-read) list prior to making this post haha.

8.

For some reason this reminds me of The Lion King? Yeah, I do tend to think of similar stuff I've seen to a cover. This book looks a little older? Definitely seems like the kind of book I'd find at a library.

9.


Ok, no, this was on my TBR too, I'd just forgotten the name. I really love the sketchy-vibe of the cover. Not very complicated, but fantastic.

Well then, that was fun! I honestly was judging all of the books by their cover only, and hadn't read the blurb for most if not all of them. But of course, you can't really judge a book by its cover, so the chances of my 'reviews' being wrong are pretty high. This was just done for fun, and is not meant to be taken seriously.

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this! Do you judge books by their cover? Are you planning on reading any of these? Should I do a part 2? Let me know in the comments! Thank you for reading this post, and hopefully I'll be seeing you guys next time!

Here's the link to the Goodreads shelf I made for all the books mentioned above: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list/125004756-waffles?ref=nav_mybooks&shelf=judging-books-by-their-cover

Note: Not sponsored, and just my opinions. Also, the link of the books aren't mentioned 'cause I got most of these from Goodreads, and that link has been mentioned above. Some of the covers were sent by my cousin, and so I don't know where she got them from.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Actually Important Chat

Hello everyone. So first of all, you may be wondering why I didn't post yesterday. Usually, it'd be because I didn't have the time, or the right inspiration.  But eventually I would find time and inspiration and write something, right?  Yeah, not this time.  Creativity block? Maybe. It's true, it's been weeks since I've worked on my WIPs.  But I guess the real reason is that I've been working every week on this blog not for myself, but for everyone reading it. I realized, while frantically scrolling through 'Post Ideas' lists on the internet on Thursday, I feel like I have to write because I have to, not because I want to. Get what I mean?  I wondered what the point was. If it was worth the effort at all. You might be thinking what a short, usually less than a thousand words post once a week that basically included me ranting required effort for.  Well, writing is hard. And it doesn't always feel the same. So while writing a post every week might

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

  The title of this blog is a really popular sentence that's commonly used all over the world. It's often used to refer to the idealistic feminist, the 'badly-behaved' (according to society, anyway) women who stand up against the patriarchy by breaking the invisible (and sometimes visible) rules set for them.  That's not a bad implication of the statement, no. But the original meaning of it is kind of ironic, because most people don't know the woman who actually said this: Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. In her book of the same name, she talks about simple women, who make changes in every corner of the world, but are not recognized for it. Mothers, nurses and teachers cause huge impacts on our lives, yet their stories are often forgotten, or not considered at all.  It's so weird how even now there are certain conditions for everything, including being the proper feminist icon. You have to have a certain skin tone (ever hear of white feminism?) wear certain clothes

Update

  Hey guys! So up until now, I've never really had a routine I'd follow for posting here on this blog. Sometimes I'd post a couple of times in a week, other times I'd be missing for a few weeks. So that's why I've decided to post every Friday. If I have more time, of course I'll be posting more, but this way I'll be able to keep up even if I'm busy, because my posts are usually not very long. But a big thank you to all of you reading, checking in on this blog; I'm really grateful towards you all. Thank you for your support, and I hope to improve the quality of my future posts. That's it for now, and I'll see you all next Friday.