Skip to main content

The Henna Ordeal



Hey everyone! I know, I'm late with this week's post, but I have a good excuse (sort of): the day before yesterday was Eid (where I live)! A belated Eid Mubarak to everyone who celebrates Eid! 

But yeah, I thought I'd do something related to this time of the year, and was thinking of doing something art related too as I hadn't done something like that for a long time, and found the perfect idea: henna. 

For those of you who don't know, henna is a dye created from the henna tree. It is used to apply on skin (or hair), as it leaves a bright red/orange stain, and is quite prominent in cultural festivals in South Asian, Arabic and African countries. 

So it's common to apply it during Eid. Just search it up online, and you'll get millions of results in a very, very short amount of time. If you ever visit a South Asian, African or Arabic community before a big event, you'll see people all gathered around, all eager to have their hands decorated with henna. 

(And- I'm not sure what I'm writing! Sometimes aimless writing is fun, but other times it's not. It's a mix, right now!)

Anyways, the pictures on the internet look so cool. And the tutorials make you believe you can easily do it at home, too. Well, at least the self-confidence thing is good...

But it's HARD, at least for me. Have you seen Mandela? The twists and turns are just so complex. Pretty, yeah, but complicated. Unless you're a pro at this, and I'm not, it can feel like an ordeal. The Henna Ordeal, if you like (I'm exaggerating, no need to worry!). It's like trying to delicately ice a cookie, except this cookie is your hand, and even if you make a tiny mistake and wipe it off immediately, there will still be a stain. 

You have to have a really steady hand, and a lot of patience, as it can take a lot of time. I've heard of some people sketching out the design they want prior to using the henna using a pen. I've never tried that, but maybe it works!

(I know, this post is just me ranting about henna, I don't know why exactly, but guess that's that.)

Another thing: you have to check the quality of your henna. The traditional one, a paste made of the henna leaves, is the best. However, sometimes it's hard to use that for those delicate designs, and you have to buy the ones in cones or tubes from the store. However, while some brands use decent products, others? Not so much, unfortunately. Let's just say you don't want to find out how harmful they are the hard way, so do a little bit of research before buying it. 

Also, a quick note that my posts may be irregular from now till the June. Or maybe not irregular, but shorter than usual (maybe as short as my posts used to be when I first started; I was going through a few of them a couple of days ago, and I was blown away. How did I only write two or three paragraphs?!). I'm starting my exams, so yeah. I'm not 100% sure they will be, but just a little warning. 

Thanks for reading this crazy piece of text (that was basically a rant!)! What do you think of henna? Let me know in the comments, and I'll see you next time, whenever that is!

Note: Not sponsored and just my opinions. 

Comments

  1. I really like Henna painting! This year, I used this after a long time and enjoyed....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let's forget about henna and talk about....ME. So I'm like the queen of henna, a pro considering my age. I think I'm so good at it(people also think I'm a pro, everyone comes to me to get their henna done on eid or weddings) because I focus on the overall vibe it gives off rather than the results and it always turns out to be beautiful. You can make really messy stuff cool if you just focus on the bigger picture.
    P:.S:share pictures of your henna art next time, pleaseee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Just a friendly reminder that any inappropriate/unfriendly comments will be deleted.

Popular posts from this blog

An Actually Important Chat

Hello everyone. So first of all, you may be wondering why I didn't post yesterday. Usually, it'd be because I didn't have the time, or the right inspiration.  But eventually I would find time and inspiration and write something, right?  Yeah, not this time.  Creativity block? Maybe. It's true, it's been weeks since I've worked on my WIPs.  But I guess the real reason is that I've been working every week on this blog not for myself, but for everyone reading it. I realized, while frantically scrolling through 'Post Ideas' lists on the internet on Thursday, I feel like I have to write because I have to, not because I want to. Get what I mean?  I wondered what the point was. If it was worth the effort at all. You might be thinking what a short, usually less than a thousand words post once a week that basically included me ranting required effort for.  Well, writing is hard. And it doesn't always feel the same. So while writing a post every week might

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

  The title of this blog is a really popular sentence that's commonly used all over the world. It's often used to refer to the idealistic feminist, the 'badly-behaved' (according to society, anyway) women who stand up against the patriarchy by breaking the invisible (and sometimes visible) rules set for them.  That's not a bad implication of the statement, no. But the original meaning of it is kind of ironic, because most people don't know the woman who actually said this: Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. In her book of the same name, she talks about simple women, who make changes in every corner of the world, but are not recognized for it. Mothers, nurses and teachers cause huge impacts on our lives, yet their stories are often forgotten, or not considered at all.  It's so weird how even now there are certain conditions for everything, including being the proper feminist icon. You have to have a certain skin tone (ever hear of white feminism?) wear certain clothes

E book VS Hard copy books

Disclaimer: These are totally my opinions. Feel free to disagree. Now, you can both read a book on your phone, or get a paperback/hard cover version of it. But which one is better? E book: Pros:   You can travel light, as you are basically carrying an entire library on your phone/laptop/tablet/whatever. You'll always have a book on the go. There's less chance for the book to get damaged.  You don't need to dog-ear your pages or remember to use a bookmark, as it usually saves your place. Cons: It's actually increasing your screen time, so your eyes probably won't thank you for it. You need to charge your device. It's harder to back and forth, if you are looking for a particular portion. You just don't get the feel of a real book, its pages and what-not. Hard copy books: Pros: There is no extra pressure on your eyes, and you can go to sleep while reading. You don't have to recharge the battery. You can just open the book at a random place, and it is much e