Skip to main content

Read These If You Want to: Cry



If you're planning on reading any of the books I've mentioned here, get your tissues ready. I'm warning you, there will be tears. 

Ahhh! I'm kind of scared about writing this post. I usually try not to read sad books- for me, books are a source of escapism, and I don't want to voluntarily read anything that makes me feel miserable. So I try to steer clear, which is why I've never read books like 'The Fault in Our Starts' by John Green though friends have been recommending it constantly. But, I was talking to someone recently, and I've realized there are some books I've read that fall into the spectrum. So one thing led to another, and now I'm writing this!

Since there are a handful of books, I won't be talking too much about any, maybe just a short note on the plot, and what area of sadness it deals with. 

1. Lost and Found Club by Cathy Cassidy: Granted, I've only read the first two books in the series, but I think as it is a book series, they'd follow a similar vibe. The main theme of the series is a band full of broken kids. 

The first book is 'Love from Lexie', which I've done a review on here, where Lexie  somewhat unintentionally starts the band, and deals with the disappearance of her mother a few years ago. 

'Sami's Silver Lining' follows Sami navigating life as a Syrian refugee, having lost all his family members during the journey. 

'Sasha's Secret' is about Sasha's anxiety and panic attacks, which can put the entire band into jeopardy. 

'Forever Phoenix' is about Phoenix, a fiery, and from what I've seen in the first chapter, almost unwanted girl, and whether she can settle down. 

2. Broken Heart Club by Cathy Cassidy: Another Cathy Cassidy book! This book showcases a broken friendship, and (SPOILER ALERT) different people's ways of dealing with grief (SPOILER OVER). The Heart Club was supposed to be permanent. Hasmita, Eden, Andie, Ryan and Tasha were supposed to be best friends forever. But not everything in life is expected. 

3.Beyond the Bright Sea by Lauren Wolk: Did I write about this before? Honestly, I'm not sure. Also, this book isn't really that sad, and falls more on historical fiction and adventures, but I thought I'd include it. It follows the story of Crow, an orphan, who's determined to find out about her history. There is the topic of leprosy.

4. Why Did She Have to Die? by Lurlene McDaniel: Trigger Warning- death of a sibling. This book, as mentioned, deals with grief. Elly has always been in the shadow of her perfect older sister. But then her sister dies in an accident, where she breaks her leg. Elly learns to come to terms with it, in this short, but strong book. 

5. The Island at the End of Everything by Kiran Millwood Hargrave: I've written a review for this one, actually! You can read it here, but it's not that great, being one of my first posts. I won't all much about it, as I've already covered it and I'm kind of in a rush, but here too is the topic of leprosy. Fun fact: I borrowed both this and Beyond the Bright Sea on the same day from the library!

6. They Both Die at the End by Adam Silvera: I've written a review for this too! I wouldn't say it's completely focused on sadness, but there are moments. It's about living life to the fullest, when you know it's your last day. The ending is- I'm not sure how to explain it. I guess it was to be expected, but it was still sad (I need to find more synonyms ASAP). A chat about this book actually inspired me to write this! 

7. Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell: Park has done everything to make himself invisible. Eleanor is from an abusive, broken family, and could not stand out more. They form an unexpected friendship. A regular story? Nope! The ending is especially bittersweet. The first time I read it, I was mad because of that, but it's a great book. 

8. You Don't Know Me by Sophia Bennett: I debated on whether or not to include this, but eventually decided to. When Sasha and her friends form a band, they have no idea people would know about them. This isn't a typical 'random person rises to fame' book. It's about making decisions under pressure, body shaming, cyberbullying, being misunderstood and much more. Many parts of the book were downright tragic. 

So that's it. No promises on a part two, as I don't really expect myself to read books like this more often. Honestly, this took so long to make because I was going through the blurbs, and had to stop myself from screaming. 

Also, shoutout to a family friend, who's birthday is today! If you're reading this, well, happy birthday! 

Well, that's all for now. Have you read of any of these? Do you want to? If you have, how was it? Do you like sad books? Do you want more posts like this? Let me know in the comments! Thanks for reading, and hopefully I'll see you all again next time!

Note: Not sponsored and just my opinions. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Actually Important Chat

Hello everyone. So first of all, you may be wondering why I didn't post yesterday. Usually, it'd be because I didn't have the time, or the right inspiration.  But eventually I would find time and inspiration and write something, right?  Yeah, not this time.  Creativity block? Maybe. It's true, it's been weeks since I've worked on my WIPs.  But I guess the real reason is that I've been working every week on this blog not for myself, but for everyone reading it. I realized, while frantically scrolling through 'Post Ideas' lists on the internet on Thursday, I feel like I have to write because I have to, not because I want to. Get what I mean?  I wondered what the point was. If it was worth the effort at all. You might be thinking what a short, usually less than a thousand words post once a week that basically included me ranting required effort for.  Well, writing is hard. And it doesn't always feel the same. So while writing a post every week might

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

  The title of this blog is a really popular sentence that's commonly used all over the world. It's often used to refer to the idealistic feminist, the 'badly-behaved' (according to society, anyway) women who stand up against the patriarchy by breaking the invisible (and sometimes visible) rules set for them.  That's not a bad implication of the statement, no. But the original meaning of it is kind of ironic, because most people don't know the woman who actually said this: Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. In her book of the same name, she talks about simple women, who make changes in every corner of the world, but are not recognized for it. Mothers, nurses and teachers cause huge impacts on our lives, yet their stories are often forgotten, or not considered at all.  It's so weird how even now there are certain conditions for everything, including being the proper feminist icon. You have to have a certain skin tone (ever hear of white feminism?) wear certain clothes

E book VS Hard copy books

Disclaimer: These are totally my opinions. Feel free to disagree. Now, you can both read a book on your phone, or get a paperback/hard cover version of it. But which one is better? E book: Pros:   You can travel light, as you are basically carrying an entire library on your phone/laptop/tablet/whatever. You'll always have a book on the go. There's less chance for the book to get damaged.  You don't need to dog-ear your pages or remember to use a bookmark, as it usually saves your place. Cons: It's actually increasing your screen time, so your eyes probably won't thank you for it. You need to charge your device. It's harder to back and forth, if you are looking for a particular portion. You just don't get the feel of a real book, its pages and what-not. Hard copy books: Pros: There is no extra pressure on your eyes, and you can go to sleep while reading. You don't have to recharge the battery. You can just open the book at a random place, and it is much e