Skip to main content

Review - The Midnight Library - Matt Haig


 

Hi hi hi! I know I haven't posted anything recently, and part of the reason is that I had exams. Like, a LOT of them. It was annoying, but at least now they're over! This non-exam period won't last long, but what's life if not an exam? 

Anyways, I did a little bit of reading, and today's review will be of Matt Haig's The Midnight Library. I'd seen a lot of people talk about it, and the concept seemed cool enough, so why not check it out? 

Trigger Warning: The book (and this review) contains suicide, suicidal thoughts, depression. I think it's best if you search up trigger and content warnings for the book. 

Here's the plot:

Nora Seed's life is filled with regrets. There were always so many things she could've done, but she made the wrong decisions. She therefore decides to put herself out of her misery, and commit suicide. And she does do that, except she ends up in this library. Nora's stuck in the stage between life and death. All the books in the Midnight Library show her how her life would've gone if she'd taken different decisions. 

I ended up finishing the book in like two days (which is actually fast for present-me. Fourth-grade me finished a 500+ page book in two days), because it was pretty short and easy to read. If you want to read something that's thought provoking yet doesn't require a lot of effort to read, then this might be the book for you. 

The story's really interesting, and Nora got to learn what the root cause of her problems was. There was a lot of positive character development in her. I also really like Mrs. Elm's character. It's interesting to see how Nora's relationship with different people change with every decision she makes in her different lives. It really goes to show how a simple decision made by one person can create great impacts on not just them, but people around them, too. 

"Never underestimate the big importance of small things" - Mrs. Elm

While all that's amazing, can we just talk about the library? It's probably no surprise that I love libraries. There's something magical about them, whether or not they have an infinite number of books that can transport you to perpendicular universes. Like Nora, libraries were really important for me growing up. I spent a huge chunk of my lunch period in the library back in elementary school. And librarians are really important, too. Unfortunately, there aren't many libraries where I live now, which is sad. 

Rating: 9/10

Anyways, that's all for today. Did you read this book? If yes, how was it? If not, do you want to? Also, I recently finished Rule of Wolves. Which means that I am officially done with all Leigh Bardugo Grishaverse books, minus the short stories and stuff. Pretty cool accomplishment, if I do say so myself. I really want to write a rant on the entire saga haha. Let me know if you're interested in reading it! Hopefully I'll be seeing you guys next time!

Note: Not sponsored and just my opinions. If I said something offensive please let me know. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Actually Important Chat

Hello everyone. So first of all, you may be wondering why I didn't post yesterday. Usually, it'd be because I didn't have the time, or the right inspiration.  But eventually I would find time and inspiration and write something, right?  Yeah, not this time.  Creativity block? Maybe. It's true, it's been weeks since I've worked on my WIPs.  But I guess the real reason is that I've been working every week on this blog not for myself, but for everyone reading it. I realized, while frantically scrolling through 'Post Ideas' lists on the internet on Thursday, I feel like I have to write because I have to, not because I want to. Get what I mean?  I wondered what the point was. If it was worth the effort at all. You might be thinking what a short, usually less than a thousand words post once a week that basically included me ranting required effort for.  Well, writing is hard. And it doesn't always feel the same. So while writing a post every week might

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

  The title of this blog is a really popular sentence that's commonly used all over the world. It's often used to refer to the idealistic feminist, the 'badly-behaved' (according to society, anyway) women who stand up against the patriarchy by breaking the invisible (and sometimes visible) rules set for them.  That's not a bad implication of the statement, no. But the original meaning of it is kind of ironic, because most people don't know the woman who actually said this: Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. In her book of the same name, she talks about simple women, who make changes in every corner of the world, but are not recognized for it. Mothers, nurses and teachers cause huge impacts on our lives, yet their stories are often forgotten, or not considered at all.  It's so weird how even now there are certain conditions for everything, including being the proper feminist icon. You have to have a certain skin tone (ever hear of white feminism?) wear certain clothes

Update

  Hey guys! So up until now, I've never really had a routine I'd follow for posting here on this blog. Sometimes I'd post a couple of times in a week, other times I'd be missing for a few weeks. So that's why I've decided to post every Friday. If I have more time, of course I'll be posting more, but this way I'll be able to keep up even if I'm busy, because my posts are usually not very long. But a big thank you to all of you reading, checking in on this blog; I'm really grateful towards you all. Thank you for your support, and I hope to improve the quality of my future posts. That's it for now, and I'll see you all next Friday.