Skip to main content

The Night Circus • Review • Erin Morgenstern

 


I have to admit, I read a lot this summer. Not sure if 'summer' is the right word for it though- I technically didn't have school since the end of March. Insane, huh? But I had exams, then a surprisingly long vacation- a vacation that has now been extended, so I have more time for books and other fun stuff. 

Well, with all that being said, let's talk about The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern. Funny story, I'd actually planned to buy this book like a year ago. But the bookshop I was ordering from ran out of copies, and I'd ended up buying something else. And then I completely forgot about it. A few weeks ago, I was at the same book store, and saw they restocked it. I decided to get the book this time, because why not. 

Here's a bit of the plot if you want to seeing if it piques your interest: 

The Night Circus arrives without warning. Like, seriously. One day, there's nothing, and the next, you see a bunch of black and white tents, and a sign announcing the Night Circus. It's also called Le Cirque de Rêves, or The Circus of Dreams, which is pretty accurate. But it's not just a circus. It's the venue for the pupils of two ancient magicians to duel. Celia and Marco, the respective pupils, have been trained since childhood for their trial. Except they don't really know who their opponent is, or the rules of the game. 

The writing, oh my goodness. It was amazing. Y'know, I didn't really get what people meant when they said that. I mean, as long as it has good grammar and helps me understand the story, it's okay, right? But this book changed my mind. Like, the descriptions? Phenomenal. The overall vibes of the story were off the hook. It was just such a fantastic atmosphere, and I really wish there was a Night Circus in real life. 

The plot and characters, now- they were really good, trust me, but they fell a little short compared to how great everything else was. The ending could've been a bit better, but that's just my opinion. The characters were interesting, but I feel like they could be better developed? Erin Morgenstern mentioned in an interview that she considered herself less good at characters and plot than worldbuilding, which makes sense. Apparently, in the first few drafts, there wasn't even the main duel! 

My rating: 8.7/10

If you want to read something that has a mystical sort of quality, the kind that seems realistic enough but not just yet, then you might be interested in picking up this book. Let me know your thoughts if you've read it, or are planning to. Hopefully I'll be seeing you guys next time! 

Source for the interview: https://www.startribune.com/how-erin-morgenstern-created-night-circus/175882481/

Note: Not sponsored, and just my opinions

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Actually Important Chat

Hello everyone. So first of all, you may be wondering why I didn't post yesterday. Usually, it'd be because I didn't have the time, or the right inspiration.  But eventually I would find time and inspiration and write something, right?  Yeah, not this time.  Creativity block? Maybe. It's true, it's been weeks since I've worked on my WIPs.  But I guess the real reason is that I've been working every week on this blog not for myself, but for everyone reading it. I realized, while frantically scrolling through 'Post Ideas' lists on the internet on Thursday, I feel like I have to write because I have to, not because I want to. Get what I mean?  I wondered what the point was. If it was worth the effort at all. You might be thinking what a short, usually less than a thousand words post once a week that basically included me ranting required effort for.  Well, writing is hard. And it doesn't always feel the same. So while writing a post every week might

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

  The title of this blog is a really popular sentence that's commonly used all over the world. It's often used to refer to the idealistic feminist, the 'badly-behaved' (according to society, anyway) women who stand up against the patriarchy by breaking the invisible (and sometimes visible) rules set for them.  That's not a bad implication of the statement, no. But the original meaning of it is kind of ironic, because most people don't know the woman who actually said this: Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. In her book of the same name, she talks about simple women, who make changes in every corner of the world, but are not recognized for it. Mothers, nurses and teachers cause huge impacts on our lives, yet their stories are often forgotten, or not considered at all.  It's so weird how even now there are certain conditions for everything, including being the proper feminist icon. You have to have a certain skin tone (ever hear of white feminism?) wear certain clothes

Update

  Hey guys! So up until now, I've never really had a routine I'd follow for posting here on this blog. Sometimes I'd post a couple of times in a week, other times I'd be missing for a few weeks. So that's why I've decided to post every Friday. If I have more time, of course I'll be posting more, but this way I'll be able to keep up even if I'm busy, because my posts are usually not very long. But a big thank you to all of you reading, checking in on this blog; I'm really grateful towards you all. Thank you for your support, and I hope to improve the quality of my future posts. That's it for now, and I'll see you all next Friday.