Skip to main content

Welcome to the Grishaverse




F
rankly, I'm scared of writing this. Just a little bit. 

Hello everyone! I know I disappeared for a while. School started, and since it's my last year before my first proper board exam, there's been a lot of pressure. Today I remembered that I had this sitting around in my drafts, so I thought I might as well finish it, in honor of the sneak peak of Shadow And Bone season 2. 

Originally, I had ranted about my braces and the fact that people don't read Leigh Bardugo's books despite the fact that they're so famous, but I think I'll cut that bit off 'cause it's kinda irrelevant now. I did get my cousin into reading it, so I call it a win. 

Let's divide it according to series (Note- I haven't read the short stories):

Shadow and Bone Trilogy

Shadow and Bone
Siege and Storm
Ruin and Rising

This was the first trilogy set in the Grishaverse, and if I'm being honest, it's very basic YA fantasy. Alina, our main character, a normal orphan growing up in Ravka, until she finds out that oh, she's a Sun Summoner, and only she can save the world from all evil. That's not all that happens, obviously, but it's the simplified version. Since it follows a similar path to many other books of its genre, it's pretty predictable. The last book is probably the one where the most exciting stuff happens. But consider reading the books for Nikolai, who's probably the most amazing character in this trilogy. I've also heard that it's better to start with this series first, as it helps you get accustomed to the worldbuilding (I read it in sequential order 'cause reading the Harry Potter books in the wrong order wasn't that great of a decision). 

Six of Crows Duology

Six of Crows
Crooked Kingdom

The Six of Crows Duology is possibly the most famous out of all the Grishaverse books, and there's a reason for it. This follows six deadly criminals (well, five, plus Wylan, who's still new to this business) as they attempt to pull off an impossible heist. And oh, they also accidentally change the world in the process. Personally, I didn't find the plot of the first book that interesting, 'cause readers had spoiled it for me. But what really stood out were the characters. They weren't completely morally good, no, but they were all so relatable in different ways (I don't know what this says about my mental health). At the end of the day, they were still teenagers. 

King of Scars Duology

King of Scars
Rule of Wolves

You thought now that Alina's story was over, Ravka's fine? Not even close. King Nikolai has a lot of enemies, and not enough allies. The thing about this duology is that you have to really love the characters to like it, especially the second book. Except for Zoya, who's still snarky and enjoyable to read about. There were lots of characters and different plotlines, as it was a way of showing the entire political situation at different parts of the same continent (subcontinent? I don't know). It is interesting, but I get why a lot of people found it boring.

Overall, I enjoyed the entire universe. It was fun to see Leigh Bardugo's writing develop over the years. Also, there may be a Six of Crows third book in the future. There was an opening left at the end of Rule of Wolves, which Leigh said was there so she could come back and revisit the story if she ever wanted to. 

Did you read any of these books or watched the Netflix show? If not, are you planning to? Let me know in the comments, and hopefully I'll be seeing you all next time!

Note: Not sponsored and just my opinions. If I said something offensive, please let me know.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Actually Important Chat

Hello everyone. So first of all, you may be wondering why I didn't post yesterday. Usually, it'd be because I didn't have the time, or the right inspiration.  But eventually I would find time and inspiration and write something, right?  Yeah, not this time.  Creativity block? Maybe. It's true, it's been weeks since I've worked on my WIPs.  But I guess the real reason is that I've been working every week on this blog not for myself, but for everyone reading it. I realized, while frantically scrolling through 'Post Ideas' lists on the internet on Thursday, I feel like I have to write because I have to, not because I want to. Get what I mean?  I wondered what the point was. If it was worth the effort at all. You might be thinking what a short, usually less than a thousand words post once a week that basically included me ranting required effort for.  Well, writing is hard. And it doesn't always feel the same. So while writing a post every week might

Well-Behaved Women Seldom Make History

  The title of this blog is a really popular sentence that's commonly used all over the world. It's often used to refer to the idealistic feminist, the 'badly-behaved' (according to society, anyway) women who stand up against the patriarchy by breaking the invisible (and sometimes visible) rules set for them.  That's not a bad implication of the statement, no. But the original meaning of it is kind of ironic, because most people don't know the woman who actually said this: Laurel Thatcher Ulrich. In her book of the same name, she talks about simple women, who make changes in every corner of the world, but are not recognized for it. Mothers, nurses and teachers cause huge impacts on our lives, yet their stories are often forgotten, or not considered at all.  It's so weird how even now there are certain conditions for everything, including being the proper feminist icon. You have to have a certain skin tone (ever hear of white feminism?) wear certain clothes

Update

  Hey guys! So up until now, I've never really had a routine I'd follow for posting here on this blog. Sometimes I'd post a couple of times in a week, other times I'd be missing for a few weeks. So that's why I've decided to post every Friday. If I have more time, of course I'll be posting more, but this way I'll be able to keep up even if I'm busy, because my posts are usually not very long. But a big thank you to all of you reading, checking in on this blog; I'm really grateful towards you all. Thank you for your support, and I hope to improve the quality of my future posts. That's it for now, and I'll see you all next Friday.